Māori Land Court COVID-19 Level 1 Protocol
1. This protocol will take effect on 8am on Wednesday 10 June 2020. It should be read in conjunction with the Government’s Covid-19 Alert System Level 1 measures.
2. At Level 1, the Māori Land Court will carry out all of its scheduled work and return to normal operation.
3. The use of remote participation will remain available for use in appropriate cases, such as for purely procedural matters, to be determined on a case-by-case basis.
Filing and Fees
4. Filing of applications and other Court documents may be made either in person at the Court counter or electronically at Level 1. Filing fees will also be able to be paid either at the counter or electronically from any location.
5. If an applicant, respondent, counsel or any other persons required or proposing to attend a hearing are unwell, they should not attend Court. If this applies, the presiding judge should be advised so that alternative arrangements for the appearance may be made.
6. The Ministry of Justice will provide the hygiene measures, which are described on their website.
7. Any concerns about health and safety practices in the Court should be raised with the Court Manager in the first instance.
Community transmission response
8. At Alert Level 1, it remains possible that a new cluster of Covid-19 community transmission may be confirmed within the location served by a courthouse. In that event the Court will rely on official advice. Steps may be taken to reduce in-person attendances at the Court to help protect those working or appearing there. The extent of any reduction will depend on the circumstances and official advice or notices.
9. If a location is required to return to Alert Level 2, 3 or 4, the Court is now better equipped for remote participation.
Chief Judge Wilson Isaac
9 June 2020